Friday, September 17, 2010

The Sock Demon Encounters The Not So Holy Water

So I know you immediately think I am talking about my dryer, I am not.  I am talking about my precious little boy.  He is such a sweet child.  Every morning we put the big one on the bus, he eats his breakfast and then begins playing.  He totally entertains himself with an imagination that works overtime.  I love to watch and listen to him play.  When the time arrives, I gently approach him and tell him we need to get ourselves ready for school. He hates clothes and always has ... so this is a graceful dance I do on eggshells.   He dresses himself for the most part.. every now in then we get a head thru an arm hole but all in all he does a great job with this new skill.  I praise him and tell him Mackenzie could not do this when she was his age... which pleases him to no end... Yes- it is a dance I have mastered with the one EXCEPTION-sock implementation.
This morning I actually thought I was prepared to face the sock demon... I was armed with not one but two pairs of socks... I sat him down on the couch and placed the first sock on his little foot... I grabbed the shoe.. and he starts to squirm.... ( I know from experience that I should not react.. he can smell fear)... I grabbed the other foot, placed the sock gently into place... then the shoe... then all hell broke loose as expected.  He is nothing if not predictable.. but today I pulled out the other pair of socks... I took off said shoe... took off the evil sock and placed the new sock on his foot... I made sure the seam would NOT interfere with his temperamental piggies.  I repeated this effort of the other foot... my breathing went shallow as I tip toed into the kitchen... I was about to embrace a victory dance because after at least a year of constant fighting the sock battle.. I had won the war against the sock demon......and then it happened... the meltdown phase 2.  He was a loose cannon, shaking his feet and jerking around.  I was at the sink.... I turned on the water, and began flicking it at him... "out sock demon - OUT SOCK DEMON"... He was speechless.  I am not sure if I had scared him to this point or if he was in complete shock.  A minute or two passed.. his only comment "you got my shirt wet".... The demon was gone... not a word about the evil socks...
The day went on and I picked him up.  I asked him how his day was and he said "you put watta on me"... I said "Yes, Walker and do you know why?"   He said  "yes, mommy- you are cwazy"....
Well, I will say this.. the kid may not like socks... but he calls it like he sees it...

No comments:

Post a Comment